Saturday, August 22, 2009

Errors and Omission


Errors and Omission










The Sin Of Omission
by: Margaret E. Sangster

It isn't the thing you do, dear, it's the thing you leave undone, that gives you a bit of a heartache, at setting of the sun.


No action, no reaction, no response, no involvement. There are times that this stand is not a good way to handle a certain situation. The message of sinning because of not doing anything has been haunting me for the last couple of days. I then started thinking about it and like a warning I even came across this writing about the The Sin of Omission.

Yesterday, I was with a former office mate whom I was asking assistance with my paper works. During merienda break, we started engaging in an exchange of updates on our other former co-workers. He started saying something about a manager, citing that the person was unfair. I felt that he had a wrong assessment of the manager, but I did not say a word. I wanted to hear all the things he has in his mind. Later on, I felt I should have said something, for silence meant I was agreeing with him.

I recall the instances where this is how I behave. I looked deeper into the reason why I chose to keep silent.

I realized there are a number of reasons:
(1) I was just lazy. I was looking at it just as a simple conversation or exchange of stories.
(2) I did not want to get involved or be quoted to have said anything. I thought I can have peace by being quiet.
(3) I don't want to disagree so that the person will continue to say more. I was also interested to know more for a wrong reason.
(4) I want to be accepted by the person I was with. If I started contradicting him, he may no longer enjoy my company.

Wow, that's heavy. Just writing those down surely opened my eyes to my very own mistakes.

But why should I discontinue this style? Thinking through, I told myself the following:
(1) It is not fair for the absent person. He cannot defend himself of the allegations. Even if the things were true then I could still have spoken to shorten the conversation or end it in a positive note.
(2) I will just be encouraging this habit of this whispering act, that is, people saying things against each other. Next time, I may even be the topic.
(3) The discussion will not turn out to be fruitful or productive and negativity surely drains good energy.

I can argue with myself by saying it is on a case-to-case basis, but it is still my conscience that shall dictate whether it is right or wrong.


Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.
















No comments:

Post a Comment